Okay so it’s day 1 of my little rebooting mission. I need to lose the bloat, lose the flab, get my energy back and feel better in both mind and body.
A note on weighing: I hate the scales. I have never really relied on scales as an indicator of weight loss and instead prefer to go by how my clothes fit. What you see on scales day to day can fluctuate so much. I’ve shown weight increases in weeks where my eating and exercising have been excellent but I’ve lost weight according to a measuring tape and my clothes.
I decided to use some of the Phase 1 “cleaning out your engines” recipes from Ani Phyo’s 15 Day Fat Blast book. Phase 1 lasts for three days and all your meals are blended. I’ve tried this twice before and really struggled with the ‘soups’. You can repeat Phase 1 if you choose. Me, the sooner I get some solid food, the better. So I’m not following Ani’s actual plan.
DAY 1: Starting weight 74.6kg/about 164.5lb (This could be wrooooong. I weighed myself yesterday and the scales said 75.3kg. Last week they said the same. If I weigh myself tomorrow and it’s 75kg again, I’m going to consider that my starting weight.
* for breakfast I had the Blueberry Blast from Ani’s 15 Day Fat Blast (Day 1). Rating 4/5
This was made with water, blueberries, cinnamon, coconut oil. I used the flax meal + hemp protein option and also added a bit of matcha for what Ani calls the ‘thermo charger’. I reduced the amount of coconut oil given. I sipped this over twenty minutes. Tasty and not too sweet.
* For lunch I made the Spicy Bok Choy Soup from Ani’s 15 Day Fat Blast (Day 1). Rating 1/5
Made with water, baby bok choy, cucumber, ginger, miso, avocado, lemon juice. I’m so sorry Ani, this was impossible for me to eat 😦 This is the third time I’ve made the soup since buying the book and each time I could not eat (drink!) it. I will happily eat those ingredients chopped up separately, like in a nice healthy bowl. But blended as a soup was impossible for me. Last time I tried drinking it. This time I tried eating it as a soup but after two spoonfuls I thought it would be easier to use my straw. Nope. I’d say I had about half a cup before admitting defeat.
– Today’s snack was supposed to be the Pineapple Green Shake from 15 Day Fat-Blast but Husband said he couldn’t find pineapple at the shops (it probably costs a million bucks anyway). I have a bowl full of oranges so I used those instead. I had this pretty soon after my attempt at the bok choy soup because I was starving. My juice had water, oranges, leafy greens, turmeric (the only difference to Ani’s recipe was that I used oranges instead of pineapple). I would rate my juice (not Ani’s) a 1/5. The turmeric was way too strong, even though I used less than the recipe stated. I couldn’t finish it. I’m sure I made this with a nice sweet pineapple in the past and it was okay. Juice in your face:
* I was so hungry after not having the soup or juice so I made the Rainbow Salad with Tahini Dressing from Ani’s Raw Food Asia. Rating 2/5
The dressing is made with tahini, lemon juice, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, water. The salad bits are tomatoes, carrot, mung bean sprouts, beets, cucumber, lettuce. The recipe calls for daikon radish but I didn’t have that. I found the amount of Bragg’s to be way too much for me. I used orange instead of lemon juice as I didn’t have much lemon and I prefer orange-tahini dressings. Still, it was good to get a bowlful of veggies with the benefits of sesame.
* the science-experiemnt-looking green juice. Because I make this juice for the family (except DeeW, she won’t go near it) I add in carrot and sweeter fruits like an orange and apples. I had my juice in the afternoon. I’ve mentioned before that Arthur doesn’t eat any veggies unless I’m sneaky so he will only drink a green juice if it’s on the sweet side:
* by dinner time I was starving and had planned on the Tomato Bisque (chopped, not blended) from the same book but found some home made almond milk. To be honest I wasn’t keen on facing another bowl with tomatoes for dinner, so I made a simple smoothie with banana, the almond milk and a pinch each of ground cardamom and ginger. If I had hemp seed I would have put those in too. I’m feeling pretty full now and it will be a late night as Husband has gone out, so I think the smoothie will keep me full for much longer than the Tomato Bisque. And I really hate going to bed with a growling stomach!
I’ll continue to blog about the various recipes I try, but might not do a daily update. My aim is to now eat as cleanly as possible but still enjoy a meal out and watch my intake overall. I have a few lunch and dinner dates coming up and I want to enjoy myself on those occasions, instead of enjoying myself far too often with bought meals (or home made individual serve microwaved self saucing puddings…). I also want to enjoy a nice meal out with Husband when we have a date night because going out for a meal together isn’t something we get to do a lot, so I want to enjoy it but choose food wisely. It will also be interesting to see if those special occasion meals affect me negatively!